Here is a compilation of the best tires for the dodge ram 1500. This review covers the best tires for every terrains, trim and model year of the dodge ram 1500.
The Dodge Ram 1500 is known for its sheer muscle strength and power. With just under 400 horsepower on new Hemi engines, the Ram 1500 is a beast. To serve its purpose as the perfect truck, it needs befitting tires. We have, as a result, taken it upon ourselves to test and compile a list of the six best tires for Dodge Ram 1500. This list takes into consideration the best tires that are suitable for different engines and use.
3 BEST TIRES FOR DODGE RAM 1500 ALL TRIMS, YEARS AND TERRAINS (Quick Reference Table)
Best Road Tires For Dodge Ram 1500
Tire manufacturers have diverse objectives for their products. Thus it is difficult to find an all-in-one solution for all road situations. No tire has had as much success in finding an all-pervasive solution to the needs of a Dodge 1500 as Michelin. The LTX M/S2 represents their best attempt at making an All-Season tire that works. An all-season tire should offer durability irrespective of the weather, providing an above decent performance on all surfaces. These tires achieve this – thanks to an excellent tread design that spreads out the force of acceleration, with improved cornering and braking. It, therefore, should be no surprise that we adjudge them to be the best all-season tires for the Dodge Ram 1500.
Why LTX M/S2 may be the overall best tires for Dodge Ram 1500
- Improved lateral water evacuation – The tire tread must be protected if the tire is to last long. Understanding this fact, Michelin employs a much-improved lateral water evacuation system. This system releases water from the tires through the multiple lateral grooves and full circumferential channels on the surface of the tire. By doing so, the tire stays protected on wet terrains.
- Inbuilt special rubber compounds – Silica enhanced compounds in these tires lower rolling resistance, and even distribution across the tire. The compounds also offer excellent braking while increasing traction. As a result, they fare well on highways and off-road.
- Better traction even in the snow – The design of the tread area of the tire contains biting edges. These edges improve grip between the tire and the ground in response to torque in snow and wet conditions. The high-density 3-D sipes also feature in improving traction.
Faults observed in these tires
- Irregular Treadwear: Due to complaints about the tire treads wearing out early and had to conduct stress tests on these tires. Our verdict: false. The primary reason for the irregular treadwear complaints is instead an improper tire alignment. Failure to properly align your tires can affect the life of your tires and the performance of the vehicle at large.
- Tire Discoloration: Michelin tires are not the most attractive tires due to the additives used to prevent degradation and cracking. The result of these additives are tires that tend to change color early and, as such, looks used.
- Not built for extreme weather: The Michelin may be the best tires for the Dodge Ram 1500 on in all seasons. But that title stops once they encounter extreme weather conditions. They are not your ideal winter tires as they prove largely incompetent in thick snow. Neither are they your go-to tires for an extreme off-road adventure.
These tires are for those who require excellent all-season tires that provide optimized results across all terrains, bank on the LTX MS/2. They may not be the best off road tires for Dodge Ram 1500, but they will get you through any season. Though lacking in appearance, these tires aim to deliver durable performance.
- All-season protection
- Low resistance
- Irregular Treadwear
- Tire Discoloration
- Not built for extreme weather
Alternate Tire Brands to the LTX MS/2 for Dodge Ram 1500
Falken – This is a Japanese tire brand. The parent company, Sumitomo Tire Industries, was established in 1983 before expanding into the US markets five years later. Today they are the manufacturers of the best SUV, light/medium truck, van, and sedan tires in the United States.
Goodyear – This tire and rubber company has a rich history dating back well over 100 years. Since its establishment by Seiberling, Frank, in 1893, Goodyear has manufactured tires for virtually every type of vehicle on earth, from earthmovers to airplanes.
General Tires – The brand that makes the famed General Grabber is the Continental Tires the Americas, LLC. Established over a century ago, they have built a solid reputation in the tire industry. Commonly known as General Tires, they have acclaimed brands like the Grabber tires, which have proven themselves as one of the best A/T tires.
BFGoodrich – The Goodrich Corporation wholly owns this brand. Founded in 1870, these tires have a long list of achievements and records. From serving the first vehicle to cross the US to fixing up the 1981 Columbia Space Shuttle, these tires have a lot of reasons to brag.
Tireco owns Milestar Tires – Milestar tires incorporated, a privately held American company that specializes in the production of tires and tire associated materials. Since its creation in 1972, Tireco’s Milestar brand has become synonymous with off road use, and the Patagonia tires are a testament to the company’s success.
Hankook Tires – This tire company has its roots in Seoul, South Korea. Legally known as the Hankook tire and technology company, their tires have been dubbed as the best off road tires for Dodge Ram 1500 due to their rugged nature and durability. They are one of the best tire brands in the United States today.
Falken’s compatibility with different topography and weather conditions is alarming. It offers excellent traction on gravel, mud, and snow. Driving on rough terrain is comfortable with AT3W. It is often regarded as the best 20 inch tires for Dodge Ram 1500 because of the excellent combination of its silica compounds with tread design reduces wear and optimizes performance in winter.
The Pros of the All-Terrain Radial Tire
- Consistency in performance – It is designed with deep 3D Canyon sipes and grooves to enable water evacuation to ensure that it appears and performs optimally throughout its useful life.
- Built for the winter – These Falken tires are the best tires for the 2010 Dodge Ram 1500. These tires have certification for snow traction performance and extreme snow conditions. The 3PMSF symbol on the sidewalls of the tire is a reminder of how stoic these all-terrain tires are in adverse weather conditions.
- Low road noise: Despite proving their mettle off-road, they are also excellent on the highway. These tires produce zero to mild road noise compared to most off-road tires and run smoothly.
Hitches experienced with these tire set
- Unsafe for wet seasons: The Falken is not an all-season tire, neither does it pretend to be. These tires are great on hills, mud trails, and snow. However, in the slightest weather change, the tires start slipping. They are hazardous when used in the rain or where one applies a bit of pressure to the tires.
- Not for regular road use – Although the Falken is an all-terrain tire, they should not be the preferred option for daily road use. They tend to perform a lot better off-road than on paved surfaces.
- Treadwear: The treading of this tire is poorly done and wears out within the shortest time, especially with regular usage.
- Poor lateral traction: These wild peak tires do not offer excellent lateral traction. As such, the force on the tires has uneven distribution when braking, rotating and steering.
Are the Falken Tires a worthy buy?
Falken has a rich history and an incredible track record. Their tires have, after 35 years in service, remained the preferred tire choice of most Dodge customers. In national driving activities, these tires are the preferred choice. They also have wide acceptance as one of the best 20 tires for Dodge Ram 1500 available. This history of success speaks a lot for the brand ethos, and the Wild Peak is a worthy representative. They are a decent buy for all-terrain use.
- Extreme off-road tires
- Low road noise
- Easy to clean
- Unsafe for wet seasons
- Not for regular road use
- Poor lateral traction
The Hemi engine remains Dodge’s most powerful engine to date. With about 395hp to grab, these engines need tires that can withstand the pressure they bring. Generally, the Goodyear tire is structured to perform optimally in all seasons. Its design enables it to enhance durability and traction in different terrains without compromising on quality and cost. Although one of the best tires for 2012 Dodge Ram 1500, these tires are a popular choice for crossovers, pickups, and SUVs.
Pros of the Wrangler SR-A
- Enhanced Traction: Goodyear Wrangler comprises wide circumferential and zig-zag grooves whose primary function is to channel water away from the treading and provide biting edges to enhance grip, especially in wet and slippery conditions.
- Cornering Grip: Microgrooves are embedded in their design to enable the tire to get a firm grip on the road while making any turn. This measure makes the tire effective in especially wet and snow conditions. Its shoulders and rib also assist in cornering and maneuvering.
- Controlled wear and tear: A set of two steel belts of high tensile strength are in the tire casing. These steel belts give strength and stability to the tread to withstand wear and tear. They also ensure that the tire is flat enough to maintain contact with the road without increasing the weight of the tires. Steel belts are a must-have for any Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi tire.
- Out of Balance: It may be challenging to keep these tires balanced as soon as they start to vibrate when steering. Tires tend to lose balance as a result of treadwear, overinflation, or underinflation. This plays a significant role in affecting the performance and life of the tires.
Our Verdict on SR-A tires
The effectiveness of the Wrangler tire steel belts, and their general features, ranks them among the best tires for Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi. These tires are ideal for all Hemi engines, particularly those of 2006, 2011, 2012, and 2016 Dodge Ram 1500. They are generally affordable, reliable, and offer a smooth and quiet ride.
- All-weather protection
- Extraordinary cornering grip
- Enhanced Traction
- Out of Balance
The RF10 Tires by Hankook are, without a doubt, the best off road tires for Dodge Ram 1500 money can buy. These tires are excellent on snow performing well on tests conducted with a 2005 2wd Dodge Ram 1500 and the Ram 1500 2014. They showed unmatched snow traction proving once again the stoic nature of this tire brand. Neither do they hold back in the rain holding firm without slipping off on wet surfaces.
Need a heavy hauler? Then these tires are for you. What about a durable all-season tire? Get the DynaPro. Only the Milestar Patagonia performs better on mud trails when compared to the DynaPro. When compared to other off-road tires, the DynaPro lasting as long as 70,000 miles in some circumstances, puts it in a league of its own.
Puncture resistant – thanks to the treading of these tires, the ATM RF10 is puncture resistant. This feature makes it a safe vehicle for all off-road use.
Slightly wider diameter – The shoulders of these tires are about 7-8% bigger than the average. The broader width translates into tires that sit firmly with a grip that makes cornering more comfortable and prevents the tires from slipping off on wet surfaces.
Perfect for all terrains – the DynaPro is an all-terrain performer. Whether in snow, wet surfaces, beach sand, rocky or muddy terrains, the DynaPro is sure to get you through. With ease.
Weak on gravel surfaces – Sadly, the 6-ply nature of this tire is its undoing. They tend to puncture or and lose threading quickly if repeatedly driven on gravel roads.
Why Hankook DynaPro
The DynaPro is in a class of its own when all-season off-road tires are considered. We dare say they are the best tires for 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 for off-road use. However, they are primarily ineffective on other Dodge Ram trims, including the 2500 and 3500. This high performance, low noise, and durable tire is one of our standout performers.
- All-terrain protection
- Puncture resistant
- Enhanced Traction
- Weak on gravel surfaces
If you are seeking for 20″ tires for your 2016 Dodge Ram, the BFGoodrich is worth considering. Our verdict is the result of tests conducted to discover the best tires for 2016 dodge ram 1500 tradesman cab 20″ wheels. What is most baffling about these tires is they are unpopular on the 2016 Dodge Ram. These tires are highly recommended due to its durability, cost, and use of advanced technology to prolong tire life and performance.
Pros of BFGoodrich tires
- Advanced core guard technology: With this technology, the sidewall rubber appears more robust to withstand bruises and splits. The shoulder rubber is also designed with increased thickness. This thickness covers the entire sidewall to protect weak parts.
- Ejectors: These tires have special ejectors – mud bars around the tread of tire shoulders – that evacuate mud or soft soil accumulations when lifted. There are also stone ejectors that keep off and clean out stones that get into the tire ridges and provide excellent traction.
- Better Traction: The biting edges in the KO2 increase traction and easy maneuver in different terrains. Specific features such as serrated shoulders raised sidewall traction bars and locking 3D sipe technology help the Goodrich achieve this. They are also 3PMSF certified.
- More extended wear: The unique tread rubber, tire footprint shape, and interlocking tread design are to balance out stress and increase stability. The tires have greater endurance in extreme terrains.
Cons of the Goodrich KO2
- Early Treadwear – BFGoodrich tends to lose their treading early.
- Imbalanced tires – Once improperly aligned – no matter the duration – the tires wear unevenly. Hence, they seem to wobble on paved roads.
- Noise – There are complaints of loud vibratory tire noises when used on paved roads at speeds above 60mph.
The flaws of the BFGoodrich stem mostly from improper alignment leading to early treadwear, imbalanced tires, and noise on highways. Once these tires are appropriately aligned, they are robust performers. Unlike other products listed here, they are mostly unpopular. However, we will not rob them of their effectiveness on the Ram 2016. Besides providing excellent performance on the 2016 Ram 1500, these tires are also among the best tires for a 96 Dodge Ram 1500. These are, without a doubt, the best tires for 2016 Dodge Ram 1500. These are high performers that deserve recognition.
- All-terrain protection
- Enhanced traction
- Early Treadwear
- Imbalanced tires
If you are on the lookout for affordable tires suited for driving on highway, gravel, off-road and muddy terrains, you may want to start with Milestar Patagonia. These tires have a rugged monster look yet produce minimal road noise. They rank among the They are the beast on the 2015 dodge ram 1500 big horn 4×4 + best tires for look, with an intimidating appearance to match its performance. The rugged presence and robust nature of these tires are felt when used on the Bighorn off-road. Patagonia can be used on trucks, SUV’s and CUV’s and make excellent tires for F150 and 2015 GMC Sierra 1500.
Why Milestar Patagonia
- Enhanced Traction: The design of tread block, shoulder lugs, and sipe are what makes Patagonia M/T excellent for muddy terrains. These features increase traction by providing biting edges for a firm grip on wet conditions.
- Reduced Noise: Its sophisticated tread design, in addition to the presence of sipes and grooves, allow for a quiet and smooth ride. It does this by getting rid of air trapped within its rubber tread block.
- Added Performance: It possesses inbuilt stone ejectors which prevent debris and rocks from attaching to the tire treads. With its high tread voids, the tire is resilient and accounts for safe driving on wet roads.
The Major setbacks of this Radial tire
- Out of balance: They spin out quickly and wreck easily in snow and wet weather conditions. These MT tires have a way of vibrating violently above 65 MPH.
- Treadwear: The sipes on these tires are thin and wear out with high mileage. The treads also wear out faster than expected and, as such is not safe for use.
Milestar Patagonia is known for its longstanding history in designing good quality low-cost tires. These tires are great for off-road and muddy terrains but are simply not for wet environs and snow. These are it is surprising to see that they run quietly and smoother than expected. No one can go wrong purchasing one of the best tires for Dodge Ram 1500 4×4.
- Off road protection
- Enhanced traction
- Puncture resistant
- Enhanced performance
- Out of balance
Other Notable Dodge Ram 1500 Tires
Westlake’s all-terrain tire has built a solid reputation with Quad Cabs. The sturdy design of these tires puts them in a great position to help you navigate through most terrains. However, one cannot expect these tires to work in the most extreme of territories. The SL369 will not get you through 12-inch dry-packed snow. However, they are the best tires for a Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab.
General Grabber produces the best tires for 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 as well as other jeeps, SUV, and light pickup vehicles. These Grabber tires are suitable for all terrains on or off the roads as they show excellent grip on mud, rain, ice, snow, and even on gravels with minimum road noise.
One of the primary features of these tires is its excellent traction: General Grabber tires focus on optimal performance. They possess a deep 5- row tread pattern with multiple sipes and grooves to increase traction between the tire surface and the road. The result is a fully equipped tire capable of maneuvering through any surface or snow, rain, mud, or icy conditions. The Mountain snowflake symbol adorning the sidewalls of the AT2 is indicative of the snow-friendly nature of these tires. These tires achieve minimal road noise by controlling volume when air is compressed within the grooves or with its multiple tread pattern.
However, the AT2 tires are commonly known to shake slightly at speeds above 60MPH. Possible causes of the wobbling complaints seem to link to external factors other than a product defect. However, these concerns are too numerous to sweep under the rug.
General Grabber tires have innovatively addressed the issues associated with traction across different terrains. It ensures that its tires enable the vehicle to run without hitches and with low road noise. Thus, it increases the tire’s running life and provides a comfortable ride.
Guide to Dodge Ram 1500 Tire Changing
- Wheel and lug wrenches
- A jack
- A spare/ emergency tire
- Wheel blocks
- Jack with the handle and extension tube
- Ensure your vehicle is parked in a flat surface, shielded from any other moving vehicles. The aim is to ensure that your vehicle does not roll during the tire change. Such a scenario will be hazardous. Ensuring your car is safely parked depends on the type of vehicle
- Automatic – put the gear in “Park.”
- Manual – have your Dodge Ram 1500 gear stick in “Reverse.” An additional wedge placed at the back of the tires may be needed to keep the Ram in check. More so if the surface is slanted or uneven.
- 4×4 – Turn on the 4L
- Take out your tire changing tools listed above and your Dodge Ram 1500 spare tire. Lower down the extra tire by putting your jack extension tube into the bottom of the back bumper of your Dodge Ram, with the wheel wrench attached to it. Then simply turn the wrench in an anticlockwise direction.
- Before raising the flat wheel, slightly loosen the wheel bolts with a full anticlockwise turn.
- Set up your tire jack. The user manual or toolkit should have a guide on how to put together your car tire jack
- Get your jack into the right location:
- For the driver/ front passenger tires the ideal place for a tire change is in underneath the front control arm
- For back tires, the proper location should be underneath your Dodge Ram axle located between the brackets of your shocks and your wheel. You may also go through your manual/ guide to know the best locations for your car tire jack.
- Rotate your jack screw to your right until there is enough space between your tires and the ground. A simple test is to insert your palm underneath the tire. If it can get through without touching the base of the flat tire, then it is safe to remove.
- Take out the already loosened tire bolts.
- Remove the flat tire and replace with the spare
- Reinstall the lug nuts and have them slightly screwed.
- Lower the tire to the ground, take out the jack and screw the nuts tight.
FAQ on Dodge Ram 1500 Tires
I have been seeking out best tires for 2007 dodge ram 1500 at sam’s club online, but I am pretty confused at this point. My Quad cab comes with stock 17inch rims that I desperately wish to upgrade. Trouble is I do not want to change tires in winter. Help is needed.
Generally, the 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad cab comes with 17 rims measuring either 245/70, 265/70, or 275/70. The ideal 20inch rim size should measure 275/60. If you want to get tires outside of this measurement, then seek professional advice. If you are looking for an all-season performer, then the Michelin LTX is a natural choice. Besides the 2007 Ram 1500, these tires are one of the best tires for Dodge 2009 Ram 1500. The Goodyear Wrangler would put you in good stead all year round. These tires will farewell across all seasons, depending on the temperature. Go through the options on Sam’s Club to guide you on the best size.
The Travelstar Ecopath is not bad on a 1999 Ram. They are great tires for Dodge Ram 1500 best price considered. However, they do not measure up against more robust competitors. First, they are standard load, so depending on what you use your truck for, their weight support is minimal. Secondly, they are only good for 50,000 miles – poor in a market where competitors like General Grabber notch up much more. Our point is that the Ecopath certainly are not the best tires for a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 truck. However, they should do the job, depending on your needs.
Ever since I posted a question on the light truck tires best for dodge ram 1500 forums like Ramforumz and 5thgenrams are providing me with conflicting information. I need an answer.
To be honest, your question is the real reason behind the conflicting answers you have received. There is no light truck tire that serves all Dodge Ram 1500. You need to specify the model year and what you intend to gain from these tires. The best tires for a Dodge Ram 1500 single cab 4×4 2009 may not serve a Bighorn owner. Be clear about your needs to get a decent answer on those forums.
What are the best size tires for 2003 dodge ram 1500 4×4?
The best tire size for the 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4×4 is the 275/70R17, 245/70R17 275/60R20, and 265/70R17. If you need bigger tires, there is enough room in your 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 to upsize your tires in so far as the tire diameter does not exceed 31.2 inches.
My car came with 17 rims. I have always wanted to beef them up to a 20. My fear is computer readings show that I am gaining maybe, 2-3 mpg at the moment against what I would have gotten with 20” tires. I do not want a significant drop when I get the 20”. So, I would like to know the best 20 inch tires for mpg dodge ram 1500 hemi?
You have legitimate concerns. Any alteration in the size of your tire can:
However, the changes are most felt when you increase the diameter of your tires. If the gap in your tire sizes remains close after changing rims, the shift in mpg will significantly reduce. This is because the significant trigger of an increase in mpg is any alterations in the car diameter. Therefore, try changing to a 275X60 on your 20” rims. That is the first step.
Next, you have to realize that the type of tires is also a significant determinant of the savings you will get on your fuel. Premium off-road tires will cost you in mpg. They are bulky and more cumbersome and, as such, have higher resistance. The type of tire you will require for improved mpg is low resistance tires. These tires are best suited for touring and highway use. If that option is okay with you, then we recommend the Michelin Defender LTX.
Our research into the best tires for dodge ram 1500 has attempted to cover all terrains, seasons, trims and engines. This list should serve as a guide to help you make an informed decision on the tires that are ideal for your Ram 1500. If you have any questions, requests, or suggestions, do not hesitate to drop it below.